Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Harvest Monday - May 21st 2018

This post is part of the Harvest Monday series over at Our Happy Acres.

I am terrible at summer gardening.

I harvested a bucketful of bitter from the heat chiogga beets.
One off type white beet. 

Handful of jewels
 Onions. This is the one thing that ground squirrels won't mow down at my community garden. Those little bastards even ate my inherited hollyhocks. 
Texas Grano

I also inherited a lemongrass patch, which I wasn't much interested in until recently. I've been cooking my way through this cookbook from my favorite restaurant in Silver Lake and I cannot endorse it enough.
Lemon grass and Renee's red scallions.
That's it. Things are already looking bleak and it isn't even hot here yet. Ground squirrels ate everything at my community garden so that's on hold while I figure out some sort of hardware solution. The landlord turned off my raccoon fence while I was on vacation and those jerks pulled up all my eggplants. Seedsavers sent me some bad seeds and I've got some sort of leaf disease that's spread through my tomatoes. I'm down to just a few low maintenance vegetables and my peasant flowers. 
Yes

3 comments:

  1. Know the feeling ... to add to all the squirrel and rat damage, I now have a feral cat family living in my yard, scratching up the ground, leaving messes, fleas and dead birds. Maybe they will turn out to be rat catchers. I wish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a lot of "outdoor" cats in the neighborhood where I garden and they really do keep the rat/destructive rodent population down! I have never seen a rat there. At my apartment there are no loose cats and I have to use the compost bin lid like a shield because it's always full of very happy rats. Even in the daytime.

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear about your garden troubles! Raccoons are real thieves for sure. Thankfully they haven't gotten in my garden yet, but they rummage through the compost pile all the time.

    ReplyDelete