Monday, February 19, 2018

Harvest Monday - February 19th 2018


For this week's Harvest Monday, I got an overlarge, but still tender Batavia Blush lettuce. Also a rainbow stock, which is a cheat to include, but I am feeling extraordinarily vain about it.

I cannot remember what variety this is. Mom-care-package-mystery-variety. 

The only Vogerlsalat I got this winter because of the heat / bad planning. I made a vinaigrette and ate it with my fingers while standing over the sink. I know this green has a million names, but I think the most appropriate is definitely Vogerlsalat. Next fall I'm going to grow these in containers instead of raised beds so I can start them earlier, but still find ways to protect them from the heat.



Fordhook chard, Batavia broccoli, miracles.

I only had two chard plants this winter because the f$@&#^* raccoons kept pulling my many many chard seedlings out and dropping them an inch from where I'd planted them. 


A largish bunch of Rapini that was saved by a week or so of cooling temperatures and some mikado turnips - both Renee's seeds.



One more because I'm smitten.










9 comments:

  1. Oh! I bet that rapini is my unknown green. It is so good, I'm letting it go to seed before anything more happens to it.

    I can just smell that stock, so pretty, especially the last photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where in Los Angeles are you? Is is so great to read other local blogs.

      Delete
    2. I garden in Highland Park (90042) and Chinatown (90012). It is really great to know local gardeners. I had no idea what a nematode was until someone from the community garden stopped by my yard and delicately broke the news.

      Delete
  2. The stocks are lovely! And I feel your pain with the raccoons. Here it is squirrels (aka tree rats) digging things up for no good reason. I'm planning to grow Mikado turnips for the first time this spring. They look like a nice baby type to add to the lineup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom-care-package seeds are the best, though mine only seeds me catnip. Hm. Message received, it's clear who the favorite is. And --
    DO YOU NEED CHARD holy hell let me know. I can make that happen next month when I legit have to rip out the plants. No obligation, but if you're lacking I'd rather feed another human than the compost.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tomatoes in February, how fun. And your stocks and greens look exceptional. We have a solar powered owl in our garden which seems to keep little critters away, but I'm not sure if it would help with raccoons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I things these raccoons would laugh at a fake owl. One time they were causing a ruckus in the yard and I went out and started shrieking "get out get out get out" and waving a shovel around and one of them hissed at me and I was the one who ran away.

      Delete
  5. I exactly got what you mean, thanks for posting. And, I am too much happy to find this website on the world of Google. viking axe

    ReplyDelete