Monday, April 2, 2018

Harvest Monday - April 2nd 2018

This post is part of the Harvest Monday series over at Our Happy Acres.



I grew a cabbage in Los Angeles! It's Renee's Pixie, but it's formed a nice tight head and is pretty heavy! A+++++ for this hybrid.


Fennel. Blush lettuce. Joker lettuce. Loquats. Celery. Collards.


BEAUTY SHOTS. Pink Plume Celery. I'm veeerry ambivalent about this variety. I don't know about the taste. It's got an intense"celery" taste that I think is intriguing/nice for soup/stock, but it's weird for just eating raw. It also grew so slowly. I sowed this in August, but I really only have reasonable sized from one plant now. On the other hand it is pink.

Joker lettuce is easily my favorite lettuce.  It's really bolty compared to other varieties, but it's so tasty and so pretty. Worth it.


Monster orion fennel. Rotten dog for scale.

Still drowning.

Jewels.






4 comments:

  1. Pixie does well for me too, it formed a head even after the critters did a major trim job on it when it was young. Pink Plume is, I suppose, an acquired taste in celery. I happen to like it but find that it's best chopped up because it's too stringy to just crunch on a stalk. I love it sliced thin and added to chopped salads or a classic Waldorf type salad. Colorful harvests. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know the fennel is big when you need the dog to use for scale! The Joker is lovely, looks a bit like it's cousin Jester. I'm impressed with the celery too, I never got any to grow that big.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like your garden is very productive all year. And that's an amazing amount of turnips. I haven't had much luck with fennel which is a bummer since it's so expensive at the store.

    ReplyDelete