Monday, April 16, 2018

Harvest Monday - April 16th 2018

This post is part of the Harvest Monday Series at Our Happy Acres.

I pulled up my carrots! I assumed there would only be a few runty ones left, but there were so many. All gorgeous! I was listening to a WWII thriller about a precious treasure and it really amped up the drama of my discovery.
Purple Haze on the left Cosmic Purple on the right
I found a few surprise Purple Haze carrots in the mix. The Purple Haze were straighter with less wonky shapes than the Baker Creek free seed carrots, but I wasn't crazy about the way they tasted. Sort of blah.  

PH / CP
In fact I think they're just the standard carrots that come in the TJ's mixed bag colored carrots. You know the ones I'm talking about right?


IN SUMMAatION: Cosmic Purple is, really, a very tasty carrot.



Last lettuce. Truchas from Territorial seeds. I'm into it. 

(This pot is one of the the many Very Ugly Potteries I fished out of the goodwill box. I had to buy a new concrete masonry drill bit because it was so thick that my tile bit didn't work.)

Getting down to the last of the fennel. They grow approximately one inch every time I turn my back. 

Last of the loquats. Sad this season was so short.

How are these still blooming?


Yes.

4 comments:

  1. That's a nice haul of carrots! I often find wide differences in how varieties taste. I've grown Purple Haze and I can't say it tasted any better than the others. I think some are bred more for looks than taste anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely flowers. At the moment we have primroses and forget-me-nots which look lovely. Cosmic Purple it is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, I know the feeling of digging up the carrots, it's like a treasure hunt! Nice fennel, I can't seem to get mine going this spring, it takes forever for the seeds to germinate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think I started these in September or October.

      Delete